Friday 23 December 2011

Top Gear Test Track - Part Two: Routing

Phil, a colleague of Louise's, has kindly lent me his router over the Christmas holidays.  After some experiments on an old piece of chipboard this morning, I decided that the best way to route would be to create templates that the router could follow.


I cut the shapes from another piece of MDF and gently nailed them to the main board.  The first tight corner:


Over halfway...


Finished:


I had to fill the little holes left by the nails and then I painted the runways and side roads.


And with the masking tape removed, it looks like this:


 I hope to make a start with laying the copper tape either side of the slot tomorrow.  I remain worried that some of the corners may still be too tight for the slot cars, but then this is a test track in all senses of the phrase.

No comments:

Post a Comment