Monday, 26 August 2013

Take the scenic route (part one)

The far side of the track has various elevations and constructing scenery around the different levels was always going to be complicated.  So I cheated with a roll of grass which I just used to cover the gaps:

It's been like this for a couple of years although I did replace some of the grass paper when I built the big screen, but the rock wall wasn't very convincing.

So my Bank Holiday project was to build some proper rock walls using some pieces of insulation foam I liberated from a neighbour's skip over a year ago (I knew it would come in handy eventually...).

It's a nice material to work with, much easier than the chicken wire and plaster method I used for other parts of the track.  I used a normal saw to roughly cut the pieces and then shaped and added detail with a dremel (rotary hand-tool).  It does make one hell of a mess though.  And I lost count of the trips between the garage and the loft today.

But the end result is a significant improvement.  This is the first piece I did between the two hairpins:

And then I got carried away and ripped out the paper mache rocks I'd created behind the big screen, and shaped pieces for the whole stretch.  As the rock wall acts as a natural barrier, I was able to remove a lot of the armco barriers.

Next job is to paint it and to re-grass & re-plant around the big screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment