Saturday 24 December 2011

Top Gear Test Track - Part Three: Electrics

I've now laid all the copper tape.  It goes down very easily and I used a small wallpaper roller to flatten the creases where the tape goes around corners.


I soldered in connectors to continue the power beyond the cross-over points, running the wire under the board in recessed channels.  You can see the soldered wires in this close-up of the main cross-over:


I took apart a Scalextric Sport power supply and wired some female bullet connectors to it, with the male connectors wired to the copper tape.


You can see the first test footage on YouTube or below if you're reading this in a browser.


It runs pretty well but it's not good enough.  The two corners in the middle and far end of the main runway are a little bit too tight to get the slot cars driving through smoothly.  So I think I may get the router out again and rework the part of the track indicated by the red dots below.


A Merry Christmas to all my readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment