Monday 5 August 2013

If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'

Louise gave me a couple of American racers for my birthday.  The Dodge Charger Daytona of 1969:


and the Plymouth Road Runner Superbird of 1970:


These large cars are plastered with sponsorship decals, and have the huge spoilers and aerodynamic noses of the NASCAR (National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing) cars of the time.  On first testing, they drove very fast but with unrealistic "glued to the track" handling.  I took out the rear magnets so now the back ends swing out nicely on the corners.


The post title is an old NASCAR expression. Junior Johnson, one of the early superstars of NASCAR, said this about his approach when it came to building cars:
I'd have four of five new things on a car that might raise a question. But I'd always leave something that was outside of the regulations in a place where the inspectors could easily find it. They'd tell me it was illegal, I'd plead guilty, and they'd carry it away thinking they caught me. But they didn't check some other things that I thought were even more special.

No comments:

Post a Comment