Friday 6 August 2010

The ultimate 70s Ford

One of my more traumatic childhood experiences was my Dad trading in a fabulous Ford Capri (the 1600cc GL with dark purple paint and black vinyl roof) for a brown Austin Allegro (or "All Agro" as he later called it).

That Capri was my favourite car when I was growing up (although I won't repeat here my earlier regretable history with the car that some readers will remember - sorry Uncle David!) and I've always had a soft spot for them.  So when I spotted a new Carrera model, I added it to my birthday list and received it from Mum today.

This is the RS 3100 model and with an Essex 3 litre V6 bored out to 3100cc, it was the fastest Ford production car at the time (1973).  The car is in livery of the one raced to victory by Klaus Ludwig at Hockenheim in the Deutsche Rennsport Meisterschaft (DRM) racing series.  It's a fantastically detailed model as you can see from this photograph of the real car, taken at the Essen Motor Show in 2007.  A few sponsors stickers have changed but the paintwork and wheels are perfect.


Now to find one in purple with a black roof...

No comments:

Post a Comment